Floods are natural disasters which occur environmental problems. It is known as the conditions of overflowing a river. Floods measure two maximum water level which goes underwater extend of the land, flow the volume of water.
A large amount of rain water flowing into lakes, rivers, and reservoirs in a very short time causes the water to overflow resulting in flooding. At present even in areas where there are no lakes< rivers or reservoirs, overflowing of rain water after heavy rains takes place. Whichever way, a land getting covered with water causes flooding. So we see that the main cause of flooding is heavy rains. But the following factors also contribute to a great extent, namely, cyclone, hurricanes, earthquake, landslides and tsunami conditions. Melting glaciers also can cause flooding. All these can cause flooding in a very short time.
Influence Of The Man
Clearing and using slope lands for cultivation
Filling up low lands
Clearing forest in rain catchment areas
Setting fire to jungles
In addition to the reasons mentioned above, blocking the natural flow of water such as canals, construction roads along steep slopes, adding non-biodegradable plastics to water ways also cause flooding.
After a Flood
· Be concerned about those who may need first aid or medical assistance.
· Do not use the water from the wells for drinking or cooking till you are advised
by the Public Health Authorities.
· Listen to the radio often and keep in touch with the news.
· Do not walk on flood water. (This water may contain oil, fuel, sewage, and even
current leaks from loose electricity connection)
· Always avoid flowing water.
· Take care when you go by vehicles since the roads may be broken.
· Inform the authorities as soon as possible about any damaged current wires or
· Be careful about sharp object when you enter buildings.
· Throw out any food water wash you hands well.
· Always rink boiled and cooled water.
· Wash any green leaves well in salt water.
· Every one must cooperate to bring the house back into order.